Friday, November 26, 2010

Today…. A busy day.,Soapbox & A couple of more things.

11.23.2010
Today…. A busy day.
We are still processing documents for my visa and for Rodrigo’s SS# and such.  Today we went to the Federal Police, then the town close by where Rodrigo grew up, then the town where Rodrigo’s battalion was where he served, then to the IRS.  A wild goose chase indeed.  Most places took at least 1 hour and not much got accomplished.  However this really is like anywhere.    The weather is very moist and the temp is in the low 80’s high 70’s and this is nothing.  I take like 3 showers a day cuz I get really sweaty and hot.  We all do, it is a breath of fresh air every time.  I already have a tendency to get a bit greasy in dry climate, so this really is not a perfect fit for me.  However I think all of the people who know me best would be very surprised how I have adapted. 
Then we went to the mall and bought a queen sized bed, and drank beer and ate the most wonderful little apps.  It was meat very tender salted and dried in the sun with the most wonderful root in the world Yucca.  It is like a potato with the texture of a sweet potato but more firm.  It is like rice here a staple.  Most of the time is boiled and served however I have found it amazing fried like big French fries.  I love love love them.  When Rodrigo and I tried out the food business, I now know the direction that he was heading with the pastels.   The place where we had the beer and food tonight was one.  They put anything and everything in them. 
Last night we had tuna and ham pizza, and cheese pizza with guava paste on it.  They like cheese and sweets here.  Oh I am experiencing so much in a day. 
I Did take public transportation for the first time today as well.  Very simple and nice.

Soapbox
Ok, I know we all have different beliefs but I am going to get on a short soap box.
Monsanto
Ever heard about it?  It is an American company that you guessed it decided to produce seeds in Brazil to save in cost.  It is a genetically modified seed that is resistant to pesticides (round up) and to bugs.  I just want you to know that Brazillians make it but they do not buy it.  They do not use these seeds because they do not know what the reprocussions of eating these seeds will be.  I am not an expert however if you see Food, Inc.  you will get a better idea how the Govement forces the farmers to use these seeds.  I met an old highschool friend of Rodriogs who said he knows that it is wrong and he works there.  Please consider buying local and organic just for this reason.  I will let you know however that brazil is green year round and there is so much grass that that cows are grass fed only and it is a huge country so I can understand the demand and climate may be different but feeding using the American people as guinea pigs for profit is something to look at.

By the way. ..  In any case if we stop demanding shit we could make changes.

In Brazil they also use cane sugar in the soda and in everything not High fructose corn syrup.  The government of Brazil will not allow it to be sold to the people either.   Why in America?
Couple of more things.
I was talking with the only English speaking Brazilian I have met so far.  We are talking 4 days of silence for me.  It’s Definitely hard.  It dawned on me that it is possible that we may elect our first Reality TV Star for the President.  Think about this people.  This is crazy.  They (those who bought our goverment) make the people TV Stars and tried to pass them off as candidates. 
Stop the consuming; I know I am a consumptionist.  I know it.  I see it in my thoughts here every day. 



No comments:

Popular Posts