Friday, August 26, 2011

Can Brasil Win in 2014?


I started watching the World Cup in 2006 after I met Rodrigo.  Brasil has won the World Cup 5 times and the last time was in 2002.  Brasil is known in the world for the beautiful women and Futebol (Soccer).   After moving to Brasil I wanted to know Brazilian Futebol because how else should one spend their Wednesday & Sunday nights at home.  And also because for months I would spend my time in a group staring at the TV because  I couldn’t understand  what everyone was talking about, so I took comfort in a good soccer match. 
Besides the World Cup team that we cheer for every 4 years there are Soccer clubs that play each other weekly.  During a class I asked a student what would be the best gift that someone could give you and he said a Sao Paulo Futebol Jersey.  This intrigued me and I thought; I want a team.  I spent the next month asking around to find out who the teams were, which teams were their favorites and who the best was.  To my surprise the answers varied from team to team, but whatever team the Brazilian supports is also the Best.  I loved this; there was never a doubt in a Brazilians mind when it comes to futebol.  If you support them… they are the best. 
Being an American and having a ton of teams to watch, I kind of was a Fair Weather Fan meaning;  I loved the winning team.  Still to this day I can’t decide; I like a lot of different teams for different reasons.  I like Santos because they have won a ton of games this year including the Copa Libertadores Title.  I am a Corinthian Fan because they are my husband’s favorite and we watch a lot of their games, I like the Palmeiras because my son and his grandpa love them, and secretly I am developing a love for Flamengo because they have one of my favorites “Ronaldinho” and I love Rio de Janeiro. 
So anyway what about the Brazilian World Cup team for 2014?  Well as it is now, if the World Cup was today it would be a disaster for Brasil.  I think the Brazilian team lacks not only the connection on the field but also the connection with the Brazilian people.   I have given it a lot of thought and I think there is still a chance for Brasil, but there are some changes that need to be made and fast.  Follow these 3 steps and we will be closer to a 2014 World Cup victory with some practice.
1.     What’s with the New Jersey Numbers?   Change is good, but Brazilians aren’t huge fans of it.  I agree a new look is a good thing but the numbers on the back of the shirts are too drastic.  They don’t look like sports numbers; they look like some artist tried to get into futebol for the first time.  We need Sports numbers, change the number get people feeling the shirts. 


2.      Neymar the Star and Who?  It is great to have a team full of great athletes and Brasil has always had a star, but what we are lacking on this team is character.  Sure Neymar is the star but while we are only watching him what else is going on?  What we need is a strong character like Ronaldinho to put strength on the field.  He is great, he is a strong player and he is fun to watch.  He is full of character by personality and by looks.  Bring him back and the team will start to come together.
Neymar

Ronaldinho



3.  Where is the Hot Guy?  Where is the guy that the girls want to stare at and dream about?  It is not on the Brazilian team.  We need a handsome man in the front lines entertaining the women & young girls.  I am not suggesting to bring back KAKA, but please find me someone gorgeous to watch run around on the field.  Bring back “hotness” and you have sex appeal and as an American I know one thing about sports… sports and sex appeal go hand in hand.    



Well that’s it, my three suggestions to bringing Brasil Back.  What do you think?

No comments:

Popular Posts