Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Brazilian Turkey Day!


Thanksgiving in Brasil was wonderful.   Addisun & Fernando came over to cook before the celebration that started at around 7…actually 8ish Brazilian time.  My friend Naty & Bruno coordinated the party and almost everyone who works at the School was there.  
I was in charge of the Green Bean Casserole & Creamed peas and not to toot my own horn…but this time I out did myself.  How’s that???  Well, in the United States the standard version of Green Bean Casserole is frozen beans, cream of mushroom soup then cover with French Onions & Bake.  You can do it with your eyes closed, however here in Brasil a can of Cambell’s Cream of Mushroom soup was on sale for the low price of R$9.79/can.   So, I had to get creative. 
I used heavy cream, mushroom/Onion soup packets, onions, garlic, bacon grease and fresh beans.  Then I topped it with slivered almonds and parmesan cheese.  I creamed the peas with heavy cream, onions, garlic, salt, bacon, frozen peas & then topped with batata fritas.  There is a secret ingredient of course; Love & white American cheese.  Damn processed Cheese, I love you.   
When Saturday approached I was so excited; followed by a bottle of wine while cooking and being incredibly thankful, I decided to give a speech.  Well it really started 2 days ago when Fernando and I both had a “no show” class.   We sat and watched our all-time favorite comedian “Chris Rock”.  I might have been a bit inspired, though my true purpose was to let everyone know that- I know that- my experience in Brasil would be nothing if it weren’t for them.  I couldn’t have had a better day and the dinner was amazing.  It was a Thanksgiving to remember.
















No comments:

Popular Posts