Friday, November 26, 2010

I’m up at 6 am today. & Portuguese!

11.18.2010
I’m up at 6 am today.  
I really woke up to the sound of a dog whining however since Bhellie is on the floor and I am paying more attention with further investigation I am sure it now a bird.  Lots of new sounds here, one is the dogs who at least once a day I hear the sound of them fighting.  I am not sure if it is because they are behind bars in their yard and they see another dog walks by or if they are really out in the streets.  I did get out of the house yesterday for a few trips.  One was to walk around the neighborhood.  Within walking distance there is everything, a  vet, physical therapy, 2-3 mechanic shops, Padaria (where we get our bread each day), drug store, you name it.  It is just like a New York downtown neighborhood.  I see many neighborhoods like in big cities in America.  We went to the mall which was exquisite today.  Movie theatre and a huge Christmas display.   Also there is a walmart.   A very expensive Wal-Mart.  For diapers, shaving cream, tooth brushes, razors, baby powder, soap and wash cost us 90 reis.  This is about 60 us dollars.  I was very surprised.  Now food is not too expensive but products are.  So, I will be watching my consumption.  Eba! 
Portuguese!
Well one thing is for sure, I do sound like a foreigner.  People are great about listening to me even if I sound like an idiot.  In Portuguese like Spanish you can say the words but they are in a different order than in English.  Everything I say is very basic, but I really want to communicate so badly.  Rodrigo called all of the schools in this area yesterday to try to get me in.  I think this is a good move; however I do think you all would be quite impressed with my ability to thumb through this language.  When in Rome….

No comments:

Popular Posts