Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Uncomfortable Suprise!

So I was in class tonight and it was my 4th class of the night.  I got to a question about “surprises”.  The question actually had something about "pleasant surprise" in it.  I wanted to make sure that they understood “surprise” because I wasn’t sure that they understood the word before which was “struggle”.   Actually the class was a bit of a struggle tonight.  It was the only the second time that I had taught this class and I think they were a bit nervous of my accent.  Well anyway I said, for some dumb reason… that a pleasant surprise would be a like a party and then asked if someone could tell me what an unpleasant surprise would be.  I think I was expecting to try to encourage participation.  So, a guy says…” I can”.  “Ok, then what is an example of an unpleasant surprise” and he said “like when my friend died”.  OMG, I felt so bad.  We were both apologizing.  He for saying that and I for asking such a stupid question like what kind of answer was I expecting to get, I was at a loss of what to say next.  Eventually the students and I were laughing at the situation.   At this point it didn’t matter what language we spoke we all understood uncomfortable and unfortunate.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

lol... Jill teaching is always surprising... sometimes pleasant... but... sometimes we do stuff like that just to remember we can't predict everything... I called a student these days and asked: - What happend so important that you can't come to classes this week? He answered: - My mom died!

Jill In Brazil said...

OMG! Keeps you on your toes, doesn't it?

Anderson said...

Oh my God, I'm this guy!

And the worst is that I did I did not say friend, I said parents, but actually I wanted to say a relative. I was confused because in Portuguese the meaning of relative is "parente".
Jill was lost and we laugh a lot after that.

Jill In Brazil said...

Good Times! Was a fun week in your class. :)

Popular Posts