Saturday, January 1, 2011

Brasil 2011

Brasil 2011

Here it is a new year and a new perspective for me and all Brazilians. 
For Brazilians.... today the newly elected President Dilma was sworn into office.  Dilma is the first woman president in Brazilian history.   She is the head of the Labor party and her stance is that all Brazilians will have the right to Education, Health Care and Jobs.  Like the previous President Lula, Dilma will continue to hold his policies in place as Brasil moves towards becoming a 1st world country.   In my limited impression of Brasil, there is has been quite a distance between the poor and the rich.  What I can see is the gap closing as Brasil is getting a middle class.  I go to the malls here and see the outrageous prices on things; I wonder who is it that is buying this stuff?  As far as I can tell, if you make $1200 reis a month you should be happy, however if you are a business owner here the sky is the limit but they will not pay the employees more than what they are used to.  It is confusing to me because when you eat out plan on dropping at least $60/meal.  If you want the extras in life you will pay for them, I think this is where it may get a little hairy for Rodrigo and me. I will say though you can get a massage for $15 and Pedi/Mani for less than $5.  Haven’t got one yet but it’s on my list.  Will this ever be a challenge, a Budget! F@%#!

Now, Let me take a minute and tell you what I saw at the mall yesterday;
Barney Dolly 10" tall, says a few words $129.00
Electronic Toys for Children under 2 like we would pay $35 for were $249
Pocket Knife $166 smallest version not a brand
A water bottle/ coffee holder- nice but not Starbucks nice $49
Cell phone service $91.00 for 100 minutes- seriously this is what we have

It is true that most items are made in Brasil and NOT imported from China, this is good and I think Brazilians have a few things in mind when they buy and sell.  1st I think they keep in mind how to stimulate their own economy.  2nd I think they have always had to think about TRASH~ Here the toilet paper is so thin that it sticks to you....yeah when you wipe.  Sucks!  The napkins are hard and feel like you are wiping with construction tissue paper.  The wet wipes for babies are the same and impossible to work with.  This is a problem because a lot of Brazilians are litter bugs.  I saw a lady driving a truck in Bumper to bumper traffic.  She just finished the last muscle relaxer...yeah I said muscle relaxer... And she threw it out the window.  I had to stare at it for 3 minutes in disbelief.  Just threw it out!  A plastic pill container, the kind that you pop a pill out of the foil backing- 6 pack.  One of the major problems here is lack of public education.  Not too long ago Brasil was ruled by a dictatorship and education was the least of the priorities.  It is so interesting because when I look out the window at the people as I am driving by them, they look just like Americans.  I think Brazil is at an amazing point in their history and I am happy to have the opportunity to be here emerged in their culture no matter how hard it can get for me at times.
If you are reading this you are always welcome for a visit, just wait till I have a home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yee Haw for he new female president. Saw it on Democracy Now!

Anonymous said...

Jill,

“Quem entrou na chuva é para se molhar”.... Keep this in mind!!

Is very interesting how you been describing your life in Brazil , let me be sincere, “for me is the best around the world“.
Brazilians are happy, no matter how much or what we have, if you are poor or rich.
What matters is that we have a family and friends that is always ready to help.
In Brazil people are more humble and joyful. They Know how to divide, they are not arrogant even when they are in a difficult situation.
In my beloved country we had no problems as crisis, and we are much better than many countries that claim to be first world, where you have a nation full of culture and call themselves educated.
I think you have to begin to understand very well where you are, because comparisons will have every where in this world!

I'm here in Germany, where they say is a " first world country" , where people live in a bad mood, are much more educated, still do bad things every day...and I think in America is not different...every country have bad and good things.
But as we see every day, the USA is increasingly on the wane, no job, has a social condition for people to live unless they have a job, and also because I know the medical infrastructure is not that awesome.

Try to be happy where you are and accept things as they are, because when we are in another country we have to integrate and to live the good life. Be part of and not make funny of people or the way they live, because you NEVER know how will be your day TOMORROW.

Be sure of something when you know exactly where you are and learn to respect the country and love of family is all your heart and things will be easier.

You have a family reached out to them in the hardest moment of your life, then get to the heart and live in peace.

Regarding the economy, the prices of toys we have to pay taxes to other countries very expensive to reach our market, and the children here can sometimes enjoy what is not so educational for them.

As for toilet paper, I think you'd better go to the market and buy a better one with your own money, so you would not do some more comments, and than you can make a life like in America if you buy everything with you own money, or your family or friends can send you some toilet paper and napkin, maybe will make you happy =).

If you keep doing the money exchange of all you will be crazy!

Do you know how much cost a banana in Germany?

Cost about 3.00 euros, 1 kg of banana, means that we buy only 4 bananas. If I think about that every day, I will never eat bananas in my life, just when I go to Brazil. People in Brazil maybe don‘t have the best quality of toilet paper, bad cars, no education, worse toys, bad clothes, but I think we can eat fresh fruits and good food every day, people are happy with a simple and little things that the country can offer.

In Brazil people do not pretend to be rich, we have what you see, you buy a car or house if you work hard and have money. In Brazil you have to pay bills, you can’t just use your credit card do pay “your status” for the society and behind the scene, the bank is trying to take you house back, because you are in debit with your mortgage.

We pay a lot of tax here. The people go crazy . Do not think that only Brazil, do you pay tax in US?

I believe so!!
I wish you success!
Love this country because there is now your home and I was released very sure that you received this big house that is my family and my country. My uncles are like my parents to me, respect than and appreciate what they can offer to you.

I am sorry if I am angry about what you writing, you have the freedom to express yourself and I believe that I have the freedom too, to express my love and care for my family and country. Because to be a part of where I am I had to understand and respect their culture and the way to live, I am not better than anybody else, are you?

Wishing you a good year!

Hugs
Fatima

Popular Posts