Tuesday, January 4, 2011

American Food

So today I made my first dinner in Brasil.  I made Spaghetti and it turned out quite well.  In Brasil spaghetti is noodles with sauce and hotdogs all mixed up together.  I make Spaghetti with Meat Sauce.  They call Spaghetti here Macahao (spelling is wrong).  As I was finishing the dish Rodrigo said I should mix it up and I said "No"  I am making Spaghetti not Macahao.  American Style.  The reason why I was so unsure of how it would turn out is that finding all of the ingredients that I am used to is a real challenge.  Brazilians do not eat a lot of ground meat, you actually have to ask for it behind the counter it is not pre packaged.  Their spaghetti sauce comes in a puch or small jars.  The Zuchini looked different, the mushrooms are not fresh they float in water, there is only 2 cans of stewed tomatoes to choose from and they are $4/can.  I just wasn't sure that it would come together and even taste close to my masterpiece back home.  Very happy to report that I am able to make American Food in Brasil.  Next will be hamburgers.  Here the meat is seasoned like meat loaf.  Ben Said to me today "It is different here everyday".  

No comments:

Popular Posts